Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
The mission of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is to promote the preservation, enhancement, and productive use of our Nation's historic resources, and advise the President and Congress on national historic preservation policy.
African American Civil War Memorial
In January 1999, the Civil War Memorial Museum opened to the public. Using photographs, documents and state of the art audio visual equipment, the museum helps visitors understand the African American's heroic and largely unknown struggle for freedom. The museum is located two blocks west of the Memorial in the historic Shaw neighborhood. To assist visitors, researchers, and descendants of USCT, the Museum also offers important educational and research tools. Descendants Registry. Tracing their lineage from USCT, more than 2,000 descendants have already supplied family trees, letters and other documents to the African American Civil War Memorial Freedom Foundation Registry. Visitors receive help in their search for relatives who may have served with USCT. Family members with soldiers who served with United States Colored Troops register in the Descendants Registry.
American Bungalow Magazine
American Bungalow magazine is published in the interest of preserving and restoring the modest American 20th century home, the Bungalow, and the rich lifestyle that it affords. At the turn of the century bungalows took America by storm. These small houses, some costing as little as $900, helped fulfill many Americans’ wishes for their own home, equipped with all the latest conveniences. Central to the bungalow’s popularity was the idea that simplicity and artistry could harmonize in one affordable house. The mania for bungalows marked a rare occasion in which serious architecture was found outside the realm of the rich. Bungalows allowed people of modest means to achieve something they had long sought: respectability. With its special features – style, convenience, simplicity, sound construction, and excellent plumbing – the bungalow filled more than the need for shelter. It provided fulfillment of the American dream. The bungalow was practical, and it symbolized for many the best of the good life. On its own plot of land, with a garden, however small, and a car parked out front, a bungalow provided privacy and independence. To their builders and owners, bungalows meant living close to nature, but also with true style.
Art Deco Society of Washington
The Art Deco Society of Washington is a nonprofit organization established to foster public awareness and appreciation of the Art Deco period through volunteer actions to preserve the era's decorative, industrial, architectural, and cultural arts and celebrate the period's dance, film, and music.
Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of D.C.
The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia was founded in 1865 to foster pride in the nation's capital. As the District's oldest civic association, AOI is dedicated to preserving D.C.’s heritage. Its programs feature history, civic improvements and business recognition. Over the years, preserving historic sites has been a major commitment of the organization, including the erection and maintenance of statues and memorials. In January 2005, the Association finally realized its long-fought effort to have the statue of Governor Alexander Shepherd returned to its former position of prominence in front of the District Building from which it was removed in 1979 during the reconstruction of Pennsylvania Avenue and Freedom Plaza. AOI has been a strong supporter of many important city improvements and preservation projects, including construction of the District Building and the installation of modern city street lighting. Recent accomplishments include the re-opening of F & G Streets at 9th Street by the MCI Center and maintaining thoroughfares through the new convention center. The organization has had many strong leaders, perhaps the most prominent being Theodore Noyes, owner and publisher of the Evening Star, who became president in 1908 and served for 35 years. The archives of the Association of Oldest Inhabitants, now preserved at the Historical Society of Washington, D.C., span the entire 135-year history of the organization. Meeting minutes, correspondence, and newspaper clippings document the local civic issues in which the association has been actively involved. Copies of speeches made at meetings cover a variety of topics of local history interest, including government, neighborhoods, businesses, and personal reminiscences. In addition, the collection contains a variety of materials documenting the Veteran Volunteer Firemen's Association, including membership records, correspondence, newspaper clippings and photographs.
Barracks Row Main Street
Eighth Street, SE, also known as Barracks Row, was the first commercial center in Washington DC because of a natural harbor in the Anacostia River. In 1799, the Navy Yard located next to that harbor, and in 1801, Thomas Jefferson selected the site of 8th and I Streets as the first post for the Marine Corps because of its close proximity to the Navy Yard and U.S. Capitol, in case it needed protecting. The mission of Barracks Row Main Street is to revitalize 8th Street SE as a vibrant commercial corridor reconnecting Capitol Hill to the Anacostia River using historic preservation and the arts as economic development tools. Since 1999, there have been 51 facades restored; 40 signs replaced through private dollars; 40 net new businesses have opened, including business expansion through 9 new outdoor cafes; an addition of 198 net new jobs have been created; 3 new traditional buildings have been constructed; a self-guided history trail was recently installed to interpret the neighborhood, and one streetscape reconstruction costing $8.5 million has been completed. The total amount of public and private funds reinvested in the community has been $19 million. Because of our success, BRMS won the 2005 Great American Main Street Awards from the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Main Street Center!
Buildings of the Smithsonian
The Smithsonian Institution Office of Architectural History and Historic Preservation (OAHP) provides text and digital information about the architectural history of 11 Smithsonian buildings.
Capitol Hill Restoration Society
The Capitol Hill Restoration Society (CHRS) was founded over 50 years ago to help preserve and protect the historic neighborhood's architectural and residential character. Due to the Society's efforts, Capitol Hill was designated as a historic district in 1976.
Cardozo Shaw Neighborhood Association
On the edge of the 1792 original city plan by city designer Pierre L'Enfant lies the Greater U Street neighborhood. For nearly 70 years before the Civil War, orchards and grazing land covered the area. When Camp Campbell was settled during the Civil War where 6th and U Streets now lie, thousands of fighting soldiers and then freed men and women flocked to the area. The fighting ceased, and many people remained to construct small wood frame homes, churches, and businesses that eventually gave way to the elegant rows of substantial brick townhomes lining the surrounding street today. The rise of racial segregation in the early 1900s cultivated the Greater U Street area into a "City within a City" for the African American community, and it remained so until the urban riots of 1968. The 1920s and 1930s witnessed a thriving cultural scene, with entertainers such as Sarah Vaughn, Pearl Bailey, Cab Calloway, and the neighborhood's own Edward "Duke" Ellington frequenting private clubs like Bohemian Caverns and other venues such as the Howard, Dunbar, Republic, and Lincoln Theaters. Known by many as the "Black Broadway," Greater U Street was unique in that many of its institutions were designed, financed, owned, and built utilizing the talents of emerging African American professionals as banker John Whitelaw and architect John A. Lankford.
Charles Sumner School & Archives
The Charles Sumner School is located at 17th and M Sts., NW. This landmark 1872 school building graduated its first high school class for African Americans in 1877. The Sumner School was named for US Senator Charles Sumner, an outspoken advocate for integration, especially in education. Designed by Washington architect Adolf Cluss, the structure received an award for desigIt now houses a museum, conference and meeting rooms, and an archive for the DC public schools. The Charles Sumner School was constructed in 1872 and designed by Washington architect Adolph Cluss. Named for US Senator Charles Sumner, a major figure in the fight for abolition of slavery and the establishment of equal rights for African Americans, it was one of the first public school buildings erected for the education of Washington's black community. Charles Sumner opposed the Kansas-Nebraska Act and the return of fugitive slaves by Union troops. He also fought for the abolition of slavery in the District of Columbia, the creation of a Freedman's Bureau, the admission of testimony from African Americans in the proceedings of the US Supreme Court, pay for black soldiers equal to that of whites, and the right of African Americans to use streetcars in the District of Columbia. The Sumner School was built on the site of an earlier school constructed in 1866 under the auspices of the Freedmen's Bureau. Since its dedication in 1872, the School's history encompasses the growing educational opportunities available for the District of Columbia's African Americans. Sumner School stands as one of the few physical reminders of the presence and history of African Americans in one of the most historic areas of the city. It is one of a series of modern public buildings constructed by the District of Columbia government during the period of intensive municipal improvement which cumulated in Alexander R. Shepard's remarkable transformation of the city in the early 1870s.
Cinema Treasures is focused on raising awareness and educating the public about movie theaters nationwide. Launched in December of 2000, Cinema Treasures provides a forum for bringing together movie theater owners and enthusiasts to save the last remaining movie palaces across the country. Sixty-eight theatres are mentioned with links to descriptions and photos. Twenty-eight of the 68 theatres have already been demolished.
Cleveland Park Historical Society
CPHS was founded in 1985 by a group of neighbors to promote interest in the history of Cleveland Park and to encourage preservation of its architectural heritage and character as a friendly, residential neighborhood with a strong sense of community. The Cleveland Park Historic District was designated in November 1986 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in April 1987. The Architectural Review Committee (ARC) was formed in 1987 and meets monthly to review building permit applications. In 1989, CPHS helped the city create a new zoning category, the Neighborhood Commercial Overlay District which protects the historic low-rise character of the commercial buildings on Wisconsin and Connecticut Avenues in the area.
Commission of Fine Arts
See U. S. Commission of Fine Arts (below)
Cultural Tourism DC
Cultural Tourism DC is a grassroots, nonprofit coalition of more than 140 arts, heritage, cultural, and community organizations throughout Washington, DC. We work with a wide array of partners in the public and private sectors to make all of Washington, DC a world-class destination for cultural tourism. Cultural Tourism DC also promotes economic development and hometown appreciation of the capital's rich variety of heritage and arts attractions.
DC Historic Preservation Office
Historic preservation helps make the nation's capital a beautiful and desirable city in which to live, work, and visit. The architecture, scale, and uniqueness of the city's old buildings have a broad appeal; virtually every historic district in Washington, DC, is experiencing economic resurgence. The future of our city will, in large measure, be determined by our ability to successfully revitalize residential communities and the downtown area, and thereby capitalize on the unique assets of the past.
DC Inventory of Historic Sites
List of Properties landmarked and protected under DC law.
DC Preservation League
The Mission of the DC Preservation League is to preserve, protect, and enhance the historic and built environment of Washington, DC, through advocacy and education.
DC Public Library Washingtoniana Division
The Division was established in 1905 with the mission to collect and make available material related to the District of Columbia. Covering a wide variety of subjects and consisting of various formats it is the largest comprehensive collection of material on the District of Columbia, current and historical. The collection supports all levels of research from high school papers to scholarly research.
Demolition in Washington, DC
This list is intended as an informational aid to the historic preservation community and others interested in tracking changes in the cityscape. It is a photo-catalog of Washington, DC buildings for which "raze permit applications" have been filed or for which the DC Historic Preservation Office has received a "raze letter" for sign off. Although it contains a few earlier entries, this list essentially begins with the July 4, 2003 on-line DC Register. It primarily catalogs residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. It does not include sheds, residential garages, or utility structures such as switching stations or park buildings. The list is based primarily on records produced by various DC Government agencies, and may contain errors or omit information. We suggest verifying all information with the authoritative source. Statuses are updated as we have time to drive by the address.
Dupont Circle Conservancy
The mission of the Conservancy, formed in 1978, is to promote the preservation of the historic and architectural character of the greater Dupont Circle neighborhood of Northwest Washington, DC; to represent the collective interests of its members before any public or private decision maker; and to educate the public and disseminate information about historic preservation and the history of Washington, DC, in general, and the Dupont Circle neighborhood, in particular. The Conservancy addresses matters impacting buildings and new construction in the Dupont Circle, Massachusetts Avenue, 16th Street, Strivers’ Row, and Greater 14th Street Historic Districts. Over 5700 buildings and structures are in the Conservancy’s area of review.
Foggy Bottom Association
Foggy Bottom is one of Washington, DC's oldest 19th century neighborhoods, so named because, as a low-lying area, fog (widespread in the swamps of early Washington) tended to concentrate there. It is located to the west of downtown DC in the Northwest quadrant, southeast of Georgetown along the shore of the Potomac River and south of Washington Circle. Foggy Bottom was once a community of Irish, German, and African-American laborers employed at the nearby breweries, glass plants, and the city gas works. The historic neighborhood is preserved and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the development of a parkway along the Potomac, the trend toward restoration and preservation of neighborhood areas, the proximity to memorials, the Department of State and such high-rise buildings as the Watergate have lent Foggy Bottom a special place in the city. Indeed, the late 19th-century working class neighborhood is still discernible from its immediate surroundings.
Georgetown Law Library
Links to historic preservation and zoning laws in the District of Columbia. Includes links to papers written by Georgetown University law students for the Historic Preservation Law Seminar at Georgetown University.
Hillcrest Community Civic Association
Hillcrest is a community of rolling hills, manicured lawns, red brick colonials and ramblers. The Penn-Branch and Hillcrest neighborhoods are full of civic-minded, people, who love their neighborhoods. The communities of Hillcrest and Penn-Branch, which were once considered suburbs of Washington, D.C., are often referred to as the best-kept secrets of Washington. Hillcrest and Penn-Branch are conveniently located, only three miles from the Capitol. Most of Hillcrest has an altitude of approximately 300 feet above sea level, higher than most of Washington. The pure air assured by this altitude, in combination with numerous mature trees, parks, green spaces, and unusually large lots, make these neighborhoods a more comfortable environment than most other Washington area neighborhoods, especially during the hot summer months. Overlooking the Capitol on the northwest and Oxon Run Valley, Maryland, on the southeast, the drives and scenery of Hillcrest are a source of pleasure to motorists and walkers alike.
Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record, National Park Service
The Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record (HABS/HAER) is an integral component of the federal government's commitment to historic preservation. The program documents important architectural, engineering and industrial sites throughout the United States and its territories. A complete set of HABS/HAER documentation, consisting of measured drawings, large-format photographs, and written history, plays a key role in accomplishing the mission of creating an archive of American architecture and engineering and in better understanding what historic resources tell us about America's diverse ethnic and cultural heritage. To insure that such evidence is not lost to future generations, the HABS/HAER Collections are archived at the Library of Congress, where they are made available to the public.
Historic Dupont Circle Main Streets
Our mission is to make Dupont Circle's commercial corridors economically healthy, improve our quality of life, and reflect our community's pride and history. Our five-year program will be guided by the following goals: incubate new small businesses that serve the neighborhood; enhance our sense of community; increase public safety; and beautify our parks and commercial corridors.
Historic Mount Pleasant
Historic Mount Pleasant (HMP) is a non-profit community organization dedicated to the preservation of the architectural heritage of the Mount Pleasant neighborhood. HMP's mission is to bring diverse neighbors together in an appreciation of the unique history and architecture of the Mount Pleasant neighborhood, and to maintain the qualities that make Mount Pleasant a Historic District. HMP is a volunteer organization with membership open to everyone.
Historic Preservation in DC: Planning for the Future, Using the Past
The Role of Historic Preservation in Building Tomorrow's Washington, D.C. By Donovan Rypkema
Historic Takoma, Inc. (HTI) is a membership-based, all-volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to helping preserve the heritage of Takoma Park, MD and Takoma, DC through educational activities and preservation of historical landmarks and archives. The mission of HTI is to improve the quality of life in the Takoma community by: (1) educating the public about the value of historic preservation; (2) promoting public policies that foster preservation of historic resources; (3) preserving the architecture and physical environment of the Takoma community; (4) working with the community to revitalize business areas; (5) procuring and preserving artifacts and archives relating to the history of the community; (6) establishing and maintaining historic structures and exhibits for the public; and, (7) holding meetings and other events for the instruction and information of members and the public.
Historical Society of Washington DC
Historical Society of Washington DC With more than a century of history itself, The Historical Society of Washington, D.C. is a respected and valued city institution. Over the years, countless members, volunteers, donors and professional staff have created a wide range of educational programming, accumulated an impressive collection and developed a strong body of research. .
Humanities Council of Washington, D.C.
We are here to preserve the District of Columbia's cultural legacy while transforming the nation's capital into a community. For over twenty years, our grants, programs, publications, and media projects have successfully fulfilled our mission. We are your resource to Washington area scholars and public intellectuals, writers and filmmakers, historians and philosophers, youth and seniors, for each individual is linked by their passion for storytelling and the power of their histories. Please contact us with your ideas. The HCWDC invites you to explore the most exciting adventure of all: what it means to be human.
Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington
The Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington and its Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum preserve, chronicle and present the story of the local Jewish community through archival collections, exhibits, educational programs, publications, and the restoration and preservation of the oldest synagogue building in the nation’s capital. The Museum is located in the historic 1876 Adas Israel Synagogue—the oldest in the Washington, DC area. The synagogue is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the DC Inventory of Historic Sites and the Historic American Buildings Survey. It is an Official Project of the Save America’s Treasures program. Founded by volunteers in 1960, the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington was incorporated in 1965 as a nonprofit organization dedicated to interpreting Jewish history in the greater Washington area. In 1969, galvanized by the pending demolition of the oldest synagogue building in the nation’s capital, Society members arranged for the historic building to be moved three city blocks to its present location. After extensive restoration, the synagogue was rededicated and opened to the public as the Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum in 1975. The Society has moved its offices and archives to 600 I Street, the administration building of the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue, Adas Israel’s second synagogue building.
Kiplinger Research Library
Welcome to the Kiplinger Research Library of the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. We invite you to explore our rich collections of books, pamphlets, photographs, maps, prints, archives and manuscripts in the Gibson reading room on the second floor of the Carnegie building. Admission to the library is free.
Latrobe Chapter: Society for Architectural Historians
Named after Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1764-1820), America's first professional architect, the Latrobe Chapter is the metropolitan Washington affiliate of the Society of Architectural Historians (SAH). Since its founding in 1967, the Latrobe Chapter has served as a forum for the local academic and professional community of architectural historians and architects interested in history. Membership is open to anyone interested in architecture and the built environment. The Society of Architectural Historians is an international not-for-profit membership. Founded in 1940 and headquartered in Chicago, the SAH organizes annual meetings for presentation of scholarly papers, publishes a quarterly journal and a bimonthly newsletter, and sponors the Buildings of the United States series of guidebooks. Members of local chapters are encouraged but not required to join the national organization.
Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is the nation's oldest federal cultural institution and serves as the research arm of Congress. It is also the largest library in the world, with more than 130 million items on approximately 530 miles of bookshelves. The collections include more than 29 million books and other printed materials, 2.7 million recordings, 12 million photographs, 4.8 million maps, and 58 million manuscripts.
Lincoln's Cottage & Soldier's Home National
Monument The President Lincoln and Soldiers’ Home National Monument is the most significant historic site directly associated with Lincoln’s presidency in Washington, D.C., aside from the White House. During the Civil War, Lincoln resided seasonally on the grounds of the federally-owned Soldiers’ Home, just over three miles north of the Capitol. Founded in 1851 as a home for retired and disabled veterans of American wars, the Soldiers’ Home stood on 250 acres atop the third highest area in Washington. The Lincolns prized this breeze-swept pastoral refuge for its relative privacy yet proximity to Washington’s center. Lincoln met with Cabinet members and political allies and adversaries, using the cottage as a quiet setting for important meetings, visits from well-wishers, and solitary reflection as he pondered decisions of profound national importance. Lincoln developed the policy of emancipation during his first season residing at the Soldiers’ Home. In cooperation with the Armed Forces Retirement Home, the National Trust for Historic Preservation is preserving and restoring the Lincoln Cottage to become the premier historic site for public education about the Lincoln presidency. Exterior restoration of Lincoln Cottage was completed in April 2005. Preservation of the interior of Lincoln Cottage, renovation of the future Visitor Education Center, and the landscape rehabilitation are all currently in development.
Today, Logan Circle is undergoing a renaissance. New housing has been constructed and new restaurants have opened their doors. Community residents are watching economic development to the southeast, from Chinatown to the new convention center. It seems that on almost every block you can find at least one old Victorian brownstone being restored to something near its original grandeur. The National Park Service is embarking on a major renovation of the Logan Circle Park. Once Pierre Charles L'Enfant's "Special Place," briefly home to General John A. Logan, and backdrop to Duke Ellington's childhood--the only unaltered residential Victorian skyline in Washington DC has come a long way from its original incarnation as "Blodget's Wilderness."
National Archives & Records Administration
Our mission is to ensure ready access to the essential evidence that documents the rights of American citizens, the actions of Federal officials, and the national experience. We hope you will take the time to explore the resources available here, such as the Archival Research Catalog (ARC) and the Digital Classroom, and to learn more about our new initiatives, such as the Electronic Records Archives and the National Archives Experience.
National Building Museum
Created by an act of Congress in 1980, the National Building Museum is America’s premier cultural institution dedicated to exploring and celebrating architecture, design, engineering, construction, and urban planning. Since opening its doors in 1985, the Museum has become a vital forum for exchanging ideas and information about such topical issues as managing suburban growth, preserving landmarks and communities, and revitalizing urban centers.
National Capital Planning Commission
As the central planning agency for the federal government, the Commission is responsible for preserving the unique beauty and historic urban design that have made Washington one of the most admired capital cities in the world. The 12-member National Capital Planning Commission provides overall planning guidance for federal land and buildings in the National Capital Region, which includes the District of Columbia; Prince George's and Montgomery Counties in Maryland; and Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William Counties in Virginia, including the cities and towns located within the geographic area bounded by these counties. Through its planning policies and review of development proposals, the Commission seeks to protect and enhance the extraordinary historical, cultural, and natural resources of the nation's capital.
National Museum of Health and Medicine
The National Museum of Health and Medicine was established in 1862 when U.S. Army Brig. Gen. William Alexander Hammond, the U.S. Army Surgeon General, issued orders that directed all Union Army medical officers "to collect, and to forward to the office of the Surgeon General all specimens of morbid anatomy, surgical or medical, which may be regarded as valuable; together with projectiles and foreign bodies removed, and such other matters as may prove of interest in the study of military medicine or surgery." Today, the museum is an element of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP), a tri-service Army, Navy, and Air Force agency of the Department of Defense with a threefold mission of consultation, education, and research. The museum is located at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Ave. and Elder Street, NW, Washington, D.C. Admission and parking are free.
National Park Service's Technical Preservation Services for Historic Buildings
Writers working under contract with the federal government have assembled 45 booklets designed to help owners and developers of historic buildings recognize and resolve common preservation and repair problems.
National Trust for Historic Preservation
The National Trust for Historic Preservation is a privately funded non-profit organization that provides leadership, education, advocacy, and resources to save America's diverse historic places and revitalize our communities. Since 1949, the Trust has been helping Americans protect the irreplaceable. With more than 270,000 members, the National Trust is the leader of the vigorous preservation movement that is saving the best of the country's past for the future. The need for the National Trust has increased since its founding. When historic buildings and neighborhoods are torn down or allowed to deteriorate, a part of our past disappears forever. We lose history that helps us know who we are, and we lose opportunities to live and work in the kinds of interesting and attractive surroundings that older buildings can provide.
National Trust for Historic Preservation Library Collection
Established in 1986 on the campus of the University of Maryland, the National Trust for Historic Preservation Library Collection (NTL) was begun by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1949. Over the years, however, the collection outgrew its space at the Trust's Washington, D.C. offices. Donated to the University of Maryland at College Park in 1986, NTL is fully supported by the University Libraries and has been enlarged and enhanced significantly in its campus setting. Included in the collection are more than 13,000 volumes covering preservation topics from the technical to the aesthetic .
National Trust for Historic Preservation Main Street Center
In the 1970s, the National Trust developed its pioneering Main Street approach to commercial district revitalization, an innovative methodology that combines historic preservation with economic development to restore prosperity and vitality to downtowns and neighborhood business districts. Today, the message has spread, as the Center advocates a comprehensive approach that rural and urban communities alike can use to revitalize their traditional commercial areas through historic preservation and grassroots-based economic development. It has created a network of more than 40 statewide, citywide, and countywide Main Street programs with more than 1,200 active Main Street programs nationally. The Center has led the preservation-based revitalization movement by serving as the nation's clearinghouse for information, technical assistance, research, and advocacy. Through consulting services, conferences, publications, membership, newsletter, and trainings, it has educated and empowered thousands of individuals and local organizations to lead the revitalization of their downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts.
Old Naval Hospital
The Old Naval Hospital was built in 1865 to serve Civil War forces on the Potomac River. The building, located on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, was used as a naval hospital until 1911. It then became the temporary home for Veterans of All Wars, a private institution providing lodging for those pressing pension claims in Washington. The Property is owned by the Federal government, which transferred jurisdiction to the District on April 12, 1962. After the transfer, the District leased the property to various tenants. The property is a designated historic building located in the central sector of the Capitol Hill Historic District, . The Old Naval Hospital building faces south, with an entrance on E Street, S.E., and is within the vicinity of Historic Eastern Market, the Marine Barracks and the Washington Navy Yard.
Preservation Action Preservation Action is the only national organization focused on grassroots lobbying for historic preservation in our nation's capitol. Preservation Action monitors federal legislation and keeps members informed of its consequences for preservation through weekly legislative updates, committee conference calls, quarterly national meetings, phone polls, and in-depth policy reports.
Preservation Maryland is the state's oldest historic preservation organization. Founded in 1931 as the Society for the Preservation of Maryland Antiquities, Preservation Maryland is a statewide 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving Maryland's rich and diverse heritage of buildings, landscapes, and archeological sites. Through advocacy, outreach, and funding programs Preservation Maryland assists individuals and communities with efforts to protect and utilize their historic resources.
Second Chance Inc., Architectural Antiques Salvage
Second Chance gives old buildings new life. We work with local and regional architects, builders and contractors to search out old buildings which are entering the demolition phase. Deconstruction is time-consuming and exacting. The architectural elements must be removed from the building without becoming damaged. We rescue the wood, metal, marble, plaster, stone and other architectural elements that make the building special. We give these pieces new lives, in new homes, in new ways, with new uses. The process of deconstruction saves space in our ever-growing landfills, and performs the ultimate in recycling - using the elements from our past to enrich our futures. From kitchen cabinets to linen-fold wood paneling, from hardwood floors to marble fireplace surrounds, Second Chance can remove these items from a property unharmed and store them at its warehouse until they are ready to bring life to another home. By adapting and reusing architectural elements and antiques, today's homeowners can make their house a special place to live. At Second Chance, we believe that second chances are for people, too. So we work with low-income residents of Baltimore to train them in a wide variety of skill sets, ranging from carpentry to craftsmanship. Through the use of public and private funds, we teach our workers to safely deconstruct a building without damaging its historic elements. Tour our website for a taste of what’s in store and then come visit us in South Baltimore for the total experience. We have over 100,000 sq. feet of warehouse space, filled with architectural antiques, building materials, furniture and unusual details of all sizes and shapes. We’re easy to find and have plenty of free parking.
Sewell-Belmont House and Museum
The Sewall-Belmont House is one of the oldest residential properties on Capitol Hill and has been a center of political life in Washington for more than 200 years. It is located at the corner of Constitution Avenue and Second Street, NE, across the street from the Supreme Court and next to the Hart Senate Office Building. It is architecturally significant for its early construction date and location as well as the alterations that reflect both the changing tastes of its owners and the changing architectural styles in the city of Washington over the years. The historic National Woman's Party, a leader in the campaign for equal rights and women's suffrage, owns, maintains and interprets the Sewall-Belmont House and Museum. One of the premier women's history sites in the country, this National Historic Landmark houses an extensive collection of suffrage banners, archives and artifacts documenting the continuing effort by women and men of all races, religions and backgrounds to win voting rights and equality for women under the law. The House and Museum celebrates women's progress toward equality— and explores the evolving role of women and their contributions to society—through educational programs, tours, exhibits, research and publications.
Shaw Main Streets
The mission of Shaw Main Streets is to preserve and restore the diverse, historic environment of Shaw's 7th and 9th Street commercial corridors, offering residents and visitors alike a better place to live, work, shop, play, and pray. Shaw Main Streets, Inc. (SMS) is a non-profit, community-based, organization that relies on the time, talent, and treasures of volunteers to implement the National Trust for Historic Preservation's highly acclaimed Main Street Four Point Approach.
Silver Spring Historical Society
The mission of the Silver Spring Historical Society (SSHS) is to create and promote awareness and appreciation of Silver Spring's heritage through sponsorship of educational activities and the preservation and protection of historical sites, structures, artifacts and archives."
Sixth and I Historic Synagogue
The Sixth & I Historic Synagogue provides a Jewish presence and meeting place for the community in the center of the Nation’s capital. It offers educational and inspirational programs and activities for current and future generations, and helps preserve part of the heritage of Jewish Washington.
Smithsonian Institution Architectural History and Historic Preservation Division
The Architectural History and Historic Preservation Division (AHHP) was organized in 1986 to act as curator of the Smithsonian's diverse campus of buildings. In this role, AHHP strives to foster a superior understanding of the heritage of the Smithsonian buildings through preservation, research, and education. The many activities of this division can be separated into three primary areas of responsibility: (a) Architectural History--maintaining a collection of archival records related to the Institution's architectural history; (b) Historic Preservation--using the architectural history as a base, the division is responsible for preservation of the Smithsonian's historic structures, many of which are local and national landmarks; (c) Collections Management--supervising the maintenance of the Castle Collection of antique furnishings and art objects in use throughout many of the public spaces of the Smithsonian Institution Building, The Castle. As the curator of the Smithsonian buildings and their architectural history, the Architectural History and Historic Preservation Division maintains records about the buildings. (See link for Buildings of the Smithsonian)
Society for History in the Federal Government
The Society for History in the Federal Government (SHFG) was founded in 1979 as a non-profit professional organization to promote study and broad understanding of the history of the United States Government and to serve as the voice of the federal historical community. To achieve its goals, the Society brings together historians, archivists, archaeologists, curators, librarians, editors, preservationists, and others interested in government history. Members participate in an informal professional network that strengthens common interests and stimulates discussion of historical subjects and sources. The broad benefits of membership are reflected in Society publications, meetings, awards and action committees.
Tenleytown Historical Society
The mission of the Tenleytown Historical Society is to encourage the architectural, cultural and historic preservation of Washington, DC, particularly Tenleytown and its environs, through education, research, public programs, and tours. Tenleytown Historical Society encourages the identification, restoration, renovation, and preservation of historic sites, structures and districts and works with other individuals, organizations, and public entities with similar purposes.
The Committee of 100 on the Federal City
The Committee of 100 on the Federal City was founded in 1923 to act as a force of conscience in the evolution of the Nation's Capital City. It was formed to sustain and to safeguard the fundamental values --- derived from the tradition of the L'Enfant Plan and the McMillan Commision --- that gives the Nation's Capital so much of its distinction, its beauty, and its grace as a community... The Committee is dedicated to providing responsible oversight in all pertinent areas of community development. These include parks and conservation, historic preservation, visual planning and architecture, land use regulation and renewal planning, pollution control and environmental protection, and transportation planning.
Treasury Historical Association
The Treasury Historical Association is an all-volunteer, non-profit educational and historic preservation association dedicated to education on and commemoration of the history of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, including its constituent bureaus, and to the preservation of Treasury historic properties, especially the Treasury Building next to the White House. Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1972, the Treasury Building is one of our nation's most significant monuments. A magnificent granite structure in the Greek Revival style, it was constructed over a period of 33 years, between 1836 and 1869. It served as the temporary White House for President Andrew Johnson and its splendid Cash Room was the site of President Ulysses S. Grant's Inaugural Reception. THA has provided the Department of the Treasury with a number of significant gifts to assist in the restoration of the Treasury Building. The most significant of these was a check for $200,000 to fund the restoration of the gilding in the ceilings of the Cash Room and North Wing domes.
U.S. Commission of Fine Arts
The Commission of Fine Arts was established by Congress in 1910 as an independent agency to advise the Federal and District of Columbia governments on matters of art and architecture that affect the appearance of the nation's capital. The Commission's primary role is to advise on proposed public building projects, but it also reviews private buildings adjacent to public buildings and grounds of major importance, including Rock Creek Park (under the Shipstead-Luce Act) and projects in the Historic District of Georgetown (under the Old Georgetown Act). Additionally, the Commission administers the National Capital Arts and Cultural Affairs program. This grant program was created by Congress to benefit non-profit cultural entities of a national stature, located in the District of Columbia, whose primary purpose is to provide Washington with exhibition or performing arts.
Victorian Secrets of Washington, D.C.
This site isn't much of a beauty pagent because we concentrate on buildings that are vacant, deteriorated, distressed, or just plain at risk because they are standing in the path of development. For many of them, we will be holding a wake while they are still on their deathbeds. However, if even one Victorian finds an angel because of our page, we'll consider it a thousand percent return on investment. Most of our picture-taking has been in old downtown and in the pretentiously-termed "portal" areas along New York Avenue and South Capitol Streets. We also have a particular interest in the gable-roofed frame houses that have become nearly extinct in the city and old storefronts. So much of the District we know is traveling the path to oblivion. Although it is neither possible nor desirable to save every vintage building, the process by which buildings are demolished needs to be monitored carefully. And at the very least, every imperiled building should be documented.
Washington Map Society
The purpose of the Washington Map Society is to support and promote map collecting, cartography, and cartographic history. The Society was founded in 1979. Since then, it has grown tremendously and membership now includes current and former employees of Federal, state, and private map repositories; collectors with scholarly knowledge gained through years of study; individuals who enjoy selling maps - both old and new; and many members who simply love to learn about or collect maps. Membership is open to anyone who shares these common interests. The Society has about eight meetings each year which are mostly held at the Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division. "The Portolan, the Society's newsletter, keeps members informed of upcoming meetings, exhibitions, and conferences; provides listings and reviews books dealing with the history of cartography; publishes articles written by members and reviews speaker's lectures.
Washington: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Inventory
The National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places invites you to discover Washington DC. From its beginnings as an undeveloped rural area, to its initial planning as the Nation's capital, as envisioned by Frenchman Pierre Charles L'Enfant, to its growth in size and infrastructure at the turn of the 20th century, to its place today as a political, economic, and cultural center, Washington, DC, has engaging stories to tell about the people and places that have helped shape the Nation and this most capital of cities. Ninety-six historic places that bring the 200 year history of the city to life are presented in this National Register travel itinerary. Visitors will learn not only about the famous national landmarks and monuments of Washington, such as the White House, the Capitol Building, and the Mall, but will also learn about the historic neighborhoods and local landmarks that make the city so unique.
Historic Woodlawn Cemetery, located on 22.5 acres in the heart of Ward 7 in Washington DC, is the final resting place for thousands of Washingtonians, many of whom were known locally and nationally. However, the once beautiful grounds have deteriorated over the years due to the lack of perpetual care funds. Today, it is a continuing challenge to keep these hallowed grounds free of overgrowth and clear of debris. During the 1990s, Woodlawn Cemetery was added to the District of Columbia’s Register of Historic Sites and the National Register of Historic Places. Among the thousands of departed loved ones resting at Woodlawn Cemetery are those whose names are recognizable for their extended contributions to local and national history. Blanche K. Bruce is one of them. Born a slave in 1841, Bruce was later elected to the U.S. Senate in 1875 and served until 1881. He held several political positions in Washington, D.C., and was a trustee of Howard University and of the public schools of the District of Columbia.
Woodrow Wilson House and Museum
The Woodrow Wilson House is a national historic landmark and house museum that focuses on President Woodrow Wilson's "Washington Years (1912-1924)". The museum promotes a greater awareness of Wilson's public life and ideals for future generations through guided tours, exhibitions and educational programs. The museum also serves as a community preservation model and resource, dedicated to the stewardship and presentation of an authentic collection and property. Woodrow Wilson House strives to be the preeminent historic site dedicated to educating key audiences about President Wilson's legacy as president, educator and world statesman. In 2005 the Woodrow Wilson House successfully completed an award winning $1 million interior and exterior restoration. The Woodrow Wilson House is a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.